Friday, January 4, 2013

DIY Animal Bust

Over this winter break when I have been in Corvallis, I spend much of my time alone. Which is not a bad thing at all. I am thankful that I have found contentment being alone (a skill which the Lord forced me to learn...that's for another post.) These past few days I had a large amount of solo time on my hands, and what's a girl to do when she got a lot of time to herself?
C-R-A-F-T.

My sister, Kristin, LOVES all things Anthropologie and since she got married this past May (wooooo!) she became quite fond of the paper mache animal busts they sold- she has the ram and the rhino! They are AMAZING! In the spirit of it being a new year, I decided that I, despite being not the most artistic person in the world, should attempt to make one such animal bust. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
[The Anthropologie menagerie: Yes I know mine looks nothing like this zebra, lol]
After two FULL days of work, sticky hands, masking tape up to my ears, and thinking, there's no way this will look like an animal....I did it! No I'm not about to start an Etsy account selling these, but I'm pretty darn proud at this first attempt.
[He's a little cock-eyed, but I think he's cute! I think I'll name him Franklin]

I wasn't sure if it would turn out so I didn't take pictures along to way to make a proper blog tutorial, but I am very thankful for the tutorial on Lil Blue Boo that made it possible for me. She's makes it super "easy" to create.

I'm hoping to get a tutorial of my own up pretty soon, but if you want an awesome weekend project - trust me it will take the whole weekend - then this is it!

All I can say is that after spending two whole days trying to make an animal head out of newspaper and paper mache, I'm just in AWE of God making every single animal in the blink of an eye, and they all look way more polished than my friend Franklin up there.


Best of luck to any of you to attempt this...I'd love to see if any of you make one! :) 

Happy weekend everyone!

3 comments: