Monday, May 13, 2013

{birthday pt. 2} iris gardens

If you would've asked me when I was 10-years-old what I would want to do on my 23rd birthday, I would have never said "I want to go to the iris gardens!" When I was younger, my mom often would request to go to the tulip fields or iris garden for Mother's Day. Classic mom idea [and a wonderful idea I might add]. However, I can recall many a trip where somewhere along the way my mood or attitude would start to dwindle...and let's just say I was usually ready to leave before my mom was. BUT I guess a cliche would have it, I am absolutely my mother's daughter and this year I wanted to go to the flower gardens for my special day. Having my birthday on this particular weekend always has it's array of activities, from Mother's day events, everyone and their mom going to Lake Shasta, and just it being a popular weekend for activities to occur. All this to say, many of my friends were occupied with previously arranged plans. But before you assume that based upon this first picture that I went BY MYSELF....I assure you I did not :)

Enter Ruthie pug. You know Ruthie. From my New Years post. I'm the third twin, there's her, Stephie, and then me....we're the three twin fawn pugs/cats [yea we're five years old and amazing I know]. Unfortunately Stephie had to work at her new big girl job being on the Design team at Pottery Barn (yay grown up working pug!), but Ruthie came down and represented the both of them. I've always been a nature lover, but I was STUNNED by the beauty of the iris garden. We went to Shriner's Iris Garden, and apparently I did not have any accurate memory of it. Because if I did, I would've been coming here annually! It was gorgeous, full of every color you can imagine, and the most creative names ever. Some of the names that stuck out to me were "speeding again," "aggressively forward," "baboon bottom," "cheyenne sky," and "ominous stranger." I think it would be a fun job to be the official iris-namer. 
[My Ruthie pug!]
[Hi giraffe!]
Such a fun surprise was found at the iris garden...our dear friend Alex Grace! She was there with her mom (like most of the other people that were there), but it was so fun to run into her. On the topic of most people being there with their families, Ruthie and I confidently concluded that we were by far the youngest people who were there by ourselves (aka not with family). This really means I'm just becoming an old lady. And that's quite alright by me. The gardens once again rendered me in awe of God's artistic creativity, beauty, and originality. No two flowers, even the same type, were the same. Each flower, each petal, each stoke of color were completely unique. It reminds me that I am one-of-a-kind, unique, and 100% exactly how God made me. That a good refreshing reminder as I enter a brand new year of life, and its gonna be a big year too! All in all this was a glorious afternoon spent with my dear Ruthie in the beautiful iris gardens. [ok the more I talk about this I really do sound like my mother. I'm not mad.]
[Alex Grace it was so fun running into you!]
[there were the cutest bright colored benches!..to bad some CREEPY old man wanted to add some complimentary commentary when this was taken. His granddaughter was no amused. We werent either.]
[GORGEOUS. Cannot even handle how much beauty existed at the garden]
[the twin giraffe's came to the iris farm too and had so much fun!]
[biggest poppy I've ever seen...definitely my favorite non-iris flower at the gardens]

...stay tuned for pt. 3 of my birthday extravagnaza. PLUS ootd post from this outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment